Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout - Ouch!

Tonight's beverage is the once-a-year Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.  Had this a few years ago in college with a buddy who had previously tried and loved it.  He had received a six pack of it for Christmas as a present and brought it back to school to share.  We cracked open our fancy beers, poured the potent stout into our glasses, and took a sip.  Sip one, fine, sip two, egh, sip three... ok maybe we don't like it.

Well it's four years later and I come home to find these monster's in the fridge - my dad had picked them up.  I pour myself a glass and sniff - smells good.  Strong, but good.  Barely any foaming, it looked like fancy coffee.  I took the first sip and was pleased.  My tastes have finally filled out?  Took a second sip... OK, this is pretty strong.  By sip three I realized my tastes didn't expand, it's still overwhelming.  Apparently my mom had a glass of this the other night and put ice cubes in it, as I found out after I told her it seemed like it needed to be colder (as it didn't seem very cold at all).

Five hours later I am still only halfway through my glass... seriously.  It probably doesn't help that I take a sip every half hour....  this is definitely something you'll want to read up on how to drink and enjoy.  I'm picturing this in a scotch glass - possibly on the rocks, but definitely not a whole pint of.  Yikes.   See the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment